The official trailer for Harry Potter’s 20th anniversary reunion just dropped and Potterheads have spotted Michael Gambon is missing. So, will he be in the highly anticipated event?
Here at The Focus, we’re loving all these anniversary reunion specials.
First it was Friends, and now it’s Harry Potter.
Set to debut on 1 January 2022, the famous trio and their fellow Hogwarts students and teachers are uniting to celebrate 20 years since Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone, the franchise’s first film.
Aside from the three protagonists, the newly dropped trailer featured appearances from Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange), Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort) and Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom)
- NEW: What does The Grinch have in his smile and why is his diet so disturbing?
Is Michael Gambon in the Harry Potter reunion?
The trailer concludes with a list of the confirmed cast, and Sir Michael Gambon is nowhere to be seen. Many Potterheads have noticed and can’t believe the iconic Dumbledore won’t be making an appearance.
Other noticeably absent stars are JK Rowling, Julie Walters (Molly Weasley) and Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall).
- MORE: How much is India Royale’s engagement ring? Lil Durk gifts major bling
While Gambon’s absence hasn’t been confirmed by official sources, the 81-year-old actor has reportedly been suffering from memory loss over the years.
In 2019, the Daily Mail reported he withdrew from Sky One comedy series Breeders after filming its pilot episode because he was struggling to remember his lines.
At the time, a source told The Sun:
“Michael is an incredible actor, and was extremely popular on set. But age appears to have caught up with him and he was struggling with the script. Lines weren’t going in and sticking as they normally would. But the pilot went really well and Sky execs are heavily behind it.”
This wasn’t the first time the veteran actor had to give up his role. In 2009, he exited the National Theatre’s The Habit of Art with the Guardian reporting it as ill health.
He also revealed in 2014 that he had two doctors check him for Alzheimer’s. Thankfully, that wasn’t the case, but it was still “a real worry”.
Harry Potter 20th anniversary confirmed cast
Although Gambon probably won’t be making an appearance, here’s everyone else to look forward to. Who knows, he might drop in on Zoom, like James Michael Tyler (Gunther) did for the Friends special.
- Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter)
- Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley)
- Emma Watson (Hermione Granger)
- Chris Columbus (director of The Philosopher’s Stone and The Chamber Of Secrets)
- Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange)
- Robbie Coltrane (Rubeus Hagrid)
- Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort)
- Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy)
- Gary Oldman (Sirius Black)
- Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy)
- Imelda Staunton (Dolores Umbridge)
- Oliver Phelps and James Phelps (Fred and George Weasley)
- Mark Williams (Arthur Weasley)
- Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley)
- Alfred Enoch (Dean Thomas)
- Ian Hart (Professor Quirrell)
- Toby Jones (voice of Dobby)
- Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom)
- Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood)
- David Heyman (producer of all Harry Potter films)
- Alfonso Cuarón (director of The Prisoner Of Azkaban)
- Mike Newell (director of The Goblet Of Fire)
- David Yates (director of the last four films)
Where can I watch the Harry Potter reunion?
Radio Times reports that if you’re in the US, you can watch Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return To Hogwarts on US streaming platform HBO Max on 1 January 2022.
Don’t worry Brit Potterheads, the show will be available to watch in the UK too on the same day – on Sky Max and NOW. To watch on NOW, you’ll need an Entertainment Pass, which costs £9.99 a month, or there’s a seven-day free trial if you’re a new subscriber.