Some angry Newcastle United fans took to Twitter after manager Steve Bruce substituted Joe Willock for Andy Carroll during the Magpies’ defeat at Chelsea last night.
Willock had a decent game against Thomas Tuchel’s side but the 21-year-old was taken off for Andy Carroll in the 79th minute as Bruce’s final roll of the dice.
Nevertheless, Chelsea strolled to a 2-0 victory thanks to goals by Olivier Giroud and Timo Werner.
Willock – enjoying the extra minutes
The Arsenal loanee has played 169 minutes in two matches since joining Newcastle on loan in the January transfer window.
Willock scored on his debut against Southampton in a 3-2 win for his new team.
Despite not scoring against Chelsea, the 21-year-old did manage to keep an impressive passing accuracy of 94% – the joint fourth-best in the match.
Here’s what some Newcastle fans had to say about the Willock substitution on Twitter:
Plenty of shots, little possession
The Magpies did manage to have ten shots during the game, although only four of them challenged Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga.
Not surprisingly Newcastle were pulverised in the possession stakes, managing little more than one-third (34%) during the 90 minutes, according to WhoScored.
Newcastle are now just one position above the relegation zone. However, they do have a seven-point cushion between themselves and Fulham.
Willock will surely play an important role in keeping Newcastle safe.
- Carragher picks Liverpool’s greatest Premier League signing – and it isn’t Salah
- ‘Back to his best’: Some West Ham fans praise ‘immense’ 24-year-old vs Sheffield United
- ‘Omg yes, please be real’: Some Arsenal fans are so happy after hearing Arteta’s summer plan
- Neville says ‘outstanding’ Spurs player can’t just blame Mourinho for his poor form
- ‘No guarantee’: David Moyes issues update on Michail Antonio injury