Despite Aston Villa’s match against Brighton ending in a bore draw, these Lions supporters were applauding Emiliano Martinez’s performance.
Martinez joined Villa on a four-year deal from Arsenal in September 2020 and has gone on to become a vitally important player for Dean Smith’s side.
The FA Cup winner has played all 22 of Aston Villa’s Premier League matches so far this season.
The 28-year-old was the standout player against Brighton, with even Whoscored rating the keeper’s performance a 9/10.
Martinez made a staggering nine saves in total on Saturday night, which is eight more than the Seagulls keeper Robert Sanchez made.
Smith’s team have now kept four clean sheets in their last six Premier League matches. Martinez cannot take all the credit for this, but he has certainly been a big help.
Martinez – instant success at Aston Villa
When you look at how impactful Martinez has been at Villa, it’s crazy to think that Arsenal let him go so easily.
With Dean Smith’s side currently sitting eighth in the league table and having the joint third-best defence in the league – it’s clear to see that the former Gunners keeper has been an instant success at Aston Villa.
Only Arsenal and league leaders Manchester City have conceded fewer goals than Villa so far this season, with the Lions conceding 24 in total, the exact same as Chelsea.
Here’s what the Villa fans had to say about Martinez on Twitter:
- Rory Gibson reflects on ‘feeling numb’ moment he found out he was joining Y&R
- Who is Kelly Fisher? Dodi Al Fayed’s ex-girlfriend was a Calvin Klein model
- Kobe Bryant’s autopsy report goes viral on Twitter two years after his tragic death
- Steve Martin’s dad became his harshest critic after failed attempt at Hollywood
- Beverly Hills star Denise Dowse dies after falling into coma in meningitis battle