Liverpool loanee Harry Wilson was fielded as a false nine for Wales last night as they kicked off their World Cup 2022 qualification campaign.
Wales traveled to Belgium for as tricky an opening fixture as they could ask for last night.
But they opened the scoring, when Wilson finished off a wonderful team move, slotting home a Gareth Bale pass.
Unfortunately for Wilson, Roberto Martinez’s side came back to win 3-1 on the night.
That didn’t stop Wilson earning rave reviews, though.
Wales Online named him their man of the match and gave him an 8/10 rating on the night.
“Had an excellent match in the false nine role he also performed with distinction in last time out against Finland,” they wrote about Wilson.
“Scored a beautifully crafted goal, but also troubled Belgium’s defenders with his clever movement and skill.”
“Surprisingly taken off midway through the second-half when he looked Wales’ best hope going forward. Wales never really threatened after that.”
Wilson was replaced by Leeds man Tyler Roberts, which was described as a ‘questionable substitution’.
Wilson has still not played in the Premier League for Liverpool, but it seems he was able to make far more impact than Roberts, who has been in the top flight all season with Leeds.
That bodes well for Liverpool, who have a decision to make over whether to keep Wilson in the summer.
- How tall is Vice President Kamala Harris?
- ‘No point’, ‘zero chance’: Some Everton fans unimpressed by reported links to £89m-rated ace
- Rice thinks West Ham should pay Mark Noble the ultimate club compliment
- WWE legend Kane has a crazy height difference with his wife
- ‘We’ll have 7 players available’…Some Madrid fans react to bad injury news for Liverpool clash