BT Sport pundit Rio Ferdinand feels Liverpool need to sign a central defender in order to retain the Premier League title.
Joe Gomez and Virgil van Dijk are long-term absentees, while Joel Matip was not fit for the game against Manchester United on Sunday.
Ferdinand feels Jurgen Klopp needs an upgrade on the 29-year-old, who is capable of staying fit.
He told his FIVE YouTube show that Matip’s fitness issues make it imperative Liverpool dip into the market this month.
“I think Liverpool have to buy a centre back if they’re to win the league,” declared Ferdinand.
“Especially – I think the added point to it is – if Matip can’t stay fit, which he can’t at the moment.
“If he doesn’t stay fit – and he hasn’t shown any proof he can at the moment – you’ve got to buy.”
Ferdinand is saying what plenty have said about Liverpool’s backline but it isn’t as simple as that.
Any new recruit has to be bought with the long-term in mind and quality players aren’t often available in January.
Anyway, Liverpool’s defensive record this season has been good despite the injuries.
It’s at the other end of the pitch where the absence of Diogo Jota has been felt that Liverpool need to improve after going over three and a half games without a goal.
- Michael McKean aka ‘Lenny’ of Laverne & Shirley pays tribute to Cindy Williams
- Is the Sean Payton movie on Netflix? Where to stream Home Team
- Meet Ethan Pocic’s wife Heather as Jeffree Star tweet continues to puzzle
- Who is Henry Anderson’s wife Saryn? Jeffree Star tweet sends fans Googling
- Who is OussiFooty? Age, real name and nationality of TikTok footballer