Gini Wijnaldum has underlined his commitment to Liverpool for the coming season, as per the Athletic.
They report that the Reds were braced for a bid from Barcelona in September for the Dutchman.
But Wijnaldum apparently told Klopp at that time he was committed to the club for the season ahead and happy to stay put.
The report also says that the Dutchman feels his new deal should reflect his contribution and status, but Liverpool don’t offer lucrative deals to players over 30.
The result makes it clear that a big change of heart on either side would be needed in order for Wijnaldum to remain a Liverpool player when next season starts.
And in January, he is free to discuss a pre-contract agreement, with Barcelona still sniffing around.
Ronald Koeman – Wijnaldum’s former international manager – is in charge at the Nou Camp.
But will that still be the case in the summer with the presidential change in the offering and the uncertainty around Lionel Messi?
That’s a question for the midfielder to ponder, but for the time being he remains an integral player for the reigning champions.
Barcelona are currently 13th in La Liga, having won just three league games all season.
Meanwhile, Liverpool are second, level on points with Tottenham, despite battling an injury crisis.
It’s clear Wijnaldum has much to ponder, but has told Klopp what he wanted to hear to underline his commitment to the months ahead.
- Meet Ethan Pocic’s wife Heather as Jeffree Star tweet continues to puzzle
- Michael McKean aka ‘Lenny’ of Laverne & Shirley pays tribute to Cindy Williams
- Is the Sean Payton movie on Netflix? Where to stream Home Team
- Who is Henry Anderson’s wife Saryn? Jeffree Star tweet sends fans Googling
- Who is OussiFooty? Age, real name and nationality of TikTok footballer