Goalkeeper Alex McCarthy produced an impressive display of shot-stopping during Southampton’s 1-1 draw with Wolverhampton Wanderers last night.
Theo Walcott opened the scoring at Molineux before Pedro Neto equalised late on for the home side.
The draw kept Southampton in fifth place, just one point below Leicester City.
McCarthy stands out
McCarthy, who has kept four clean sheets this season, made eight saves in the match as Wolves pushed for a winner.
The shot-stopper has been a key part of Southampton’s strong start to the season. Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side has won five out of nine league games and are only three points off top spot.
The 30-year-old joined Southampton in 2016 and has made 91 appearances in all competitions.
Last night’s performance led some Saints fans to call for McCarthy to be selected for the England squad for the next international round of fixtures.
McCarthy has only played for England once – 45 minutes in a friendly versus USA in 2018.
Here’s what some Southampton fans had to say on Twitter after McCarthy’s performance last night:
- What happened to Jinni from NMIXX? Split from group and JYP explored
- Fans curious who SZA’s ex is after SOS serves scorching roasts
- Who is Jeremy Stark on The Young And The Restless?
- Dinosaur gingerbread house trend takes baking from drab to fab for Christmas 2022
- ‘Moharebeh’ meaning explained amid news of Mohsen Shekari’s death