Newcastle were beaten by Brentford on Tuesday night, crashing out of the EFL Cup.
That meant another shot at long-awaited silverware went by the wayside, at the hands of Championship opponents.
There wasn’t much for Newcastle fans to be positive about after the 1-0 loss.
Gary Neville responded to a Magpies fan on Twitter who replied to one of his tweets about lockdown.
In fairness, there won’t be too many Magpies fans who disagree with Neville.
It was a poor result to go with a poor performance and further adds to the frustration which has built up during Steve Bruce’s reign.
Neville and Bruce are of course former Manchester United teammates but that hasn’t stopped the Sky pundit taking a jibe about the midweek result.
It’s a tricky festive period for Newcastle, with Manchester City, Liverpool and Leicester to come in their next three matches.
That means there might not be a huge amount of festive cheer around St James’ Park as Bruce at the end of Bruce’s first full year in charge.
There’s not been too much to get excited about in the 18 months of Bruce’s reign so far really and the cup exit just compounded that.
Neville isn’t telling Magpies fans something they don’t already know. They can probably think of a few stronger words than ‘poor’ to describe what they saw on Tuesday evening.
- Meet Ethan Pocic’s wife Heather as Jeffree Star tweet continues to puzzle
- Michael McKean aka ‘Lenny’ of Laverne & Shirley pays tribute to Cindy Williams
- Is the Sean Payton movie on Netflix? Where to stream Home Team
- Who is Henry Anderson’s wife Saryn? Jeffree Star tweet sends fans Googling
- Who is OussiFooty? Age, real name and nationality of TikTok footballer