Borussia Dortmund chief Matthias Sammer says that losing Mats Hummels would be more damaging than losing Manchester City and Liverpool target Erling Haaland.
Speaking to German outlet Bild, Sammer spoke about potential next steps for Haaland as well as his quality.
But he feels that experienced German defender Hummels would be the bigger loss ahead of the summer transfer window.
Eurosport credited City and Liverpool with an interest in Haaland back in November.
“I would advise Erling to see the value of Borussia Dortmund regardless of the contract situation,” said Sammer.
“The club has given him a lot. For Erling, only a handful of clubs come into question as the next step. When Erling takes the next step, he has to be complete, perfect. He is very, very good.”
“I would say Mats Hummels – his departure would hurt the club even more (than Haaland’s).
“He not only stabilized the team, Mats also defended (caretaker manager) Edin Terzic in a difficult situation in a way that totally impressed me. That is a trait that we will urgently need in the future.”
City look by far better placed to land Haaland this summer because of their financial muscle.
They need a striker, with Sergio Aguero looking set to depart and question marks over Gabriel Jesus.
It remains to be seen if they can get Haaland out of Dortmund in the months ahead.
It might depend on whether Dortmund qualify for next season’s Champions League. They currently sit fifth, four points off the top four.
- ‘Future captain’, ‘baller’: Some Aston Villa fans were blown away by ‘MOTM’ academy performance
- ‘Love this guy’: Some Man City fans hail ‘one of a kind’ 24-year-old for last night’s achievement
- How much is US Postmaster General Louis DeJoy worth?
- 6 tackles, 5 aerials won: Tottenham talent sent a message with World Cup qualifying display
- Liverpool man makes whopping 13 clearances in shock win on international duty