BBC pundit Garth Crooks has named Aston Villa’s Emi Martinez in his team of the week once again.
Martinez kept another clean sheet as Villa drew 0-0 with Midlands rivals Wolves.
Crooks felt that Martinez’s save from Conor Coady was the defining moment in a game of few chances.
He went as far as to name him Villa’s player of the season – ahead of a certain Jack Grealish.
“When your two centre-backs turn to their goalkeeper and hug him in response to a save, you can bet your bottom dollar that it’s the turning point in the game,” Crooks wrote.
“Wolves should have won this game based on the chance that presented itself to Conor Coady.
“The Wolves captain isn’t renowned for his clinical finishing but even he’s entitled to score a goal when in the six-yard box, unopposed with only the goalkeeper to beat. Enter Emiliano Martinez.
“The Argentine goalkeeper has been outstanding and, in my view, Aston Villa’s player of the season. No Argentine goalkeeper has more Premier League clean sheets than Martinez (20, level with Julian Speroni)”
Grealish is probably in the conversation for Player of the Year across the whole league.
So perhaps Crooks is getting slightly ahead of himself here, but there’s no doubt Martinez has had a great campaign.
He’s one of the signings of the season and has made a huge difference to a Villa side who struggled to settle on a regular goalkeeper last term.
- Michael McKean aka ‘Lenny’ of Laverne & Shirley pays tribute to Cindy Williams
- Is the Sean Payton movie on Netflix? Where to stream Home Team
- Meet Ethan Pocic’s wife Heather as Jeffree Star tweet continues to puzzle
- Who is Henry Anderson’s wife Saryn? Jeffree Star tweet sends fans Googling
- Who is OussiFooty? Age, real name and nationality of TikTok footballer