Mikel Arteta spoke about Arsenal’s right-back situation at his press conference ahead of tomorrow night’s Europa League clash with Benfica.
The Spaniard was asked if Hector Bellerin is at risk of losing his place to Cedric.
Cedric has filled in at left-back in Kieran Tierney’s absence but the Scot’s return means he is free to move back to the right of defence.
Arteta also namechecked another option; Calum Chambers, who has not played since the 4-2 win over Dundalk in December.
“I think everybody has to compete with each other,” replied Arteta when asked if Cedric could take Bellerin’s place in the side.
“I think Cedric has done really well. We’ve got Calum now that has been training really well in the last three to four weeks as well and looks completely ready to step in.
“So everybody has to play at their best level and we’re going to have to rotate players as well with the amount of games that we have.
“I don’t know (who will play at right-back against Benfica). I will decide the lineup tonight.”
As per Transfermarkt, both of Chambers’ appearances this season have come at centre-half.
That position is the one he seems most suited to, but he can also play at right-back of course.
Cedric impressed when deputising on the left and has given Arteta something to think about.
There has also been speculation about Bellerin’s future – which is likely why Arteta was asked about his fellow Spaniard at the briefing.
- Hustle fans make Kermit Wilts joke after Juancho Hernangomez is waived by Utah
- Heartwarming moment Peter Reckell’s ‘Bo’ meets onscreen daughter ‘Ciara’
- Stranger Things SPOILERS: Do Joyce and Hopper kiss in Season 4 Part 2?
- What will happen to Technoblade’s merch store after YouTuber’s death?
- Listen to ‘Chrissy Wake Up’ as original spawns Stranger Things fan remixes