People on Twitter have been saying Jared Kushner and Damien from The Omen look alike for some time – in fact, since 2018. Now, the rumour – and the accompanying memes – are back with a vengeance. Let’s take a look.
Jared Kushner and the Uncanny Valley
Jared Kushner has been providing meme fodder for years. In 2019, Wired published a feature on the subject after a photo emerged of Kushner and wife Ivanka Trump standing perfectly still in a window of Buckingham Palace.
“Symmetry disquiets”, senior writer Jason Parham states, citing Ivanka’s “expressionless, ghostlike” look and eyes “devoid of feeling”. Kushner, by her side, offered “a faint, robotic smirk”, continued Parham.
But internet commentators have also been speculating about Kushner’s resemblance to Damien, the main character of iconic horror film “The Omen” (1976).
Does Jared Kushner look like Damien from The Omen?
It all started in July 2018, when the blog Cromer Reader published a Weekly Read titled “Jared Kushner: The Damien Thorn of Our (End) Times?” The piece purportedly collects evidence that Kushner is, in fact, a relation of Satan’s. It’s unclear whether the writer was going for off-the-wall humour, or this is a theory they honestly believe in.
Among the author’s purported clues are references to Kushner’s purchase of a property at 666 Fifth Avenue, and “page after page of deception, death destruction and doom.”
What is The Omen about?
1976 classic horror film The Omen follows the story of Damien Thorn, a young orphan at the centre of a series of mysterious and supernatural events.
The film spawned a franchise, starting with “Damien: Omen II”. A remake of the original film premiered in the morning of 6 June, 2006 (at 06:06:06).
It received mixed reviews, unfortunately missing out on the IMDB score of 6.66.
Twitter and Facebook react to The Omen lookalike theories
The Jared Kushner / Damien from The Omen theory has been bubbling away online for some years now, with Twitter and Facebook users bringing back the joke from time to time.
But recently it has picked up even more traction.
In March this year, a Facebook user claimed four pieces of evidence as “proof” that Jared Kushner doesn’t just look like Damien Thorn from The Omen – but that they are the same person. How serious this claim was is still up for debate.
His “proof” consists of the following:
1. Married to the Presidents daughter so he’s closed [sic] to power.
2. Put in charge of the Corona Virus [sic] solution by the President.
3. Has the President’s ear and still working in White House while others are gone.
4. Owns a building New York City, address is 666 fifth Avenue.
In October, the good people of Twitter took on the theory – en masse. The following tongue-in-cheek tweet received over 60,000 Likes.
Since then, the theory has grown wings.
Miss us with that conclusion, thank you very much.
- ‘Wouldn’t have been in the Premier League’: Key moment that saved West Ham
- ‘Done very well’: Bruce names the Newcastle player who’s really impressed him this season
- Edward Norton’s Twitter take on Trump goes viral
- ‘They are all fit’: Carlo Ancelotti confirms Everton trio are ready to play against Fulham
- ‘Exceptional’: Pep Guardiola responds when asked if Tottenham are title contenders