Residents of Park Road in Bearwood, West Midlands, ran the equivalent of nine marathons in their street on VE Day (8 May) and raised £650.
The initiative was organised to raise money for Warley Woods Community Trust. Warley Woods is a 100-acre community park with a mixture of woodland, open meadow and a golf course. It was saved from development by public subscription and opened as a public park in 1906.
It became known as “The People’s Park”. However, the trust requires about £800 a day to pay its staff and bills. Its shop, cafe, golf course and play area are closed and all events for this year have been cancelled.
The trust has also been struggling to support staff and maintain the park during the lock-down.
Park Road residents ran, walked, cycled and scootered their way through nine marathons, the equivalent of almost 300 trips up and down the road.
People took part at different times of the day to ensure social distancing, while other residents cheered them on from their doorsteps. Please see the JustGiving page if you would like to contribute to the initiative.
Dame Julie Walters
Last month, actress Dame Julie Walters asked for donations towards the trust. She lived in Bearwood as a child and is patron of the trust.
- Joseph Quinn makes Spotify private as fans discover his ‘Eddie’ playlist
- Meet Dutch tennis star Tim van Rijthoven’s girlfriend and coach
- Ryan Leone’s death confirmed by fiancée as tributes to late activist roll in
- Meet Heather Watson’s parents as Brit enjoys incredible Wimbledon run
- Who is Cameron Norrie’s Wimbledon coach, Facundo Lugones?