Last month, the Daily Mirror reported that Gini Wijnaldum’s current plan is to swap Liverpool for Barcelona at the end of the season.
It’s been widely reported that the Dutchman will be a free agent in the summer and he apparently wants to fulfill a boyhood dream by joining the Spanish giants.
But last night’s Champions League results should offer the midfielder a reality check.
Liverpool, wracked with injuries and at a low ebb, dominated against a developing RB Leipzig side and won 2-0.
At the same time, the side Wijnaldum reportedly wants to join were being ripped apart on their own patch by Paris Saint-Germain.
Even with Lionel Messi in the side, they looked a shambles. There’s a real possibility he could be off in the summer.
And there’s no money there to replace him, which is why Barcelona are primarily targeting free transfers like Wijnaldum.
The current side represent a sinking ship. Why does Wijnaldum want to sign his last big contract with a club so clearly set for years of pain ahead as they try to rebuild?
There is the Dutch connection there with Ronald Koeman in charge and Frenkie de Jong in midfield.
But the former Everton boss doesn’t look likely to be in charge next season – and is the chance to link up with his former international boss really that enticing for Wijnaldum?
He’s currently playing almost every game for a Liverpool side who will be confident of pushing for every honour out there next season when Virgil van Dijk is back.
Last night’s results should have made him think again about his plan for the summer.
- Who is Nico Hiraga? Age, height and Instagram of Moxie actor explored
- Some Tottenham fans react as Mourinho says Bale should be involved vs Fulham
- Exciting Trinidad and Tobago teenager gets big chance to impress West Indies selectors
- Ancelotti suggests Everton ace who started v Southampton won’t play tomorrow
- Shoaib Malik’s chances of Pakistan recall surely fading fast after slow start to PSL