Liverpool midfielder Curtis Jones was left out of the starting eleven for England’s opening match of the Under-21 European Championship.
Young Lions boss Aidy Boothroyd persisted with the 3-4-3 system he used in qualifying.
Oliver Skipp, who is on loan at Norwich from Tottenham and Tom Davies of Everton took up the central midfield roles.
Meanwhile, Chelsea’s Callum Hudson-Odoi and Arsenal’s Emile Smith Rowe – making his debut at this level – played in the number ten positions.
The decision did not pay off as England slumped to a 1-0 defeat against Switzerland.
Dan Ndoye’s 78th minute strike was fortunate in the sense that he slipped while striking the ball, and looped the ball off his standing foot and into the net.
Jones did eventually come on, replacing Merseyside rival Davies on 66 minutes but to no avail.
We’ve taken a look at how the initial decision not to start him went down with some fans on social media:
- Does Jaleel White have a wife? Is the Steve Urkel actor married or dating anyone?
- Who is David Baszucki’s daughter? Roblox creator breaks TikTok with cameo
- New Pokemon Snap review: Catch them all – on camera
- Is David Berkowitz still alive in 2021? Where is Son Of Sam now?
- Who is Millie Gibson on Coronation Street? Age and Instagram of actor who plays Kelly