Arsenal have been in talks with Real Madrid for over a week to sign Martin Odegaard on loan, according to the Athletic.
They report that Arsenal are not the only club keen on the Norwegian midfielder this month.
Real Sociedad, the club where he spent last season on loan, are also among the leading contenders to snare him this month.
Odegaard is set to make a decision on his future soon, but he seems certain to leave the Bernabeu before the end of the window.
That’s because, as per Marca earlier this week, Odegaard has already asked Madrid to grant him an exit.
And the Athletic claim that Zinedine Zidane has already agreed to let him leave on loan this month.
That’s a change in their stance from the summer.
Then, Sociedad tried to bring him back for a second season on loan, but were told no.
Odegaard has found it hard to break into the Madrid team this season and hasn’t scored or made an assist yet in nine appearances.
But he is a hugely talented player with plenty of room to improve, aged just 22.
He already has 25 caps for Norway to his name and is a big part of the excitement around their future, alongside fellow young sensation Erling Haaland.
Arsenal seem to want a creative midfielder on loan and Odegaard is the most promising option they’ve been linked with so far.
Signing him would be an exciting move.
- ‘Has to start’: Some fans want Carlo to start Everton player for the first time vs Spurs
- ‘I should have my place there’: Manchester City loanee keen on return to Pep Guardiola
- Does LaMarcus Aldridge have a wife? Basketball star’s family explored
- Reports: 9-goal forward and Tottenham star could swap clubs this summer
- Report: Wolves interested in 26-year-old a Premier League manager has called ‘special’