With a weekend without a game, Newcastle United manager Steve Bruce was spotted at Gresty Road on Saturday.
Bruce, along with son Alex, took in Crewe Alexandra’s 2-0 victory over League One table-toppers Peterborough United.
The Chronicle report he was there to take a look at Posh forward Siriki Dembele.
The 24-year-old was unable to get on the scoresheet or stop his side slipping to a deserved defeat.
But they report there is interest from the Magpies in bringing Dembele up two divisions into the top flight.
He has five goals and four assists to his name from ten league matches this season.
That’s a big factor in why Darren Ferguson’s side have been in and around the early pacesetters.
It would be a major jump up for Dembele to make and there is no indication in the report about how advanced or serious Newcastle’s interest is.
Newcastle had an impressive summer but Bruce is yet to transform that into a cohesive attacking united.
Perhaps Dembele could take something from Callum Wilson, who worked his way up through the EFL to become an established top flight force.
This is perhaps one to keep an eye on as the January transfer window comes into view.
- Janneman Malan challenging for South Africa opener slot vs England
- Who is Justin Vernon? A closer look at the Bon Iver frontman
- Where does the Texas A&M 12th man tradition come from?
- ‘My heart was beaming’: Ian Wright so impressed with player Arsenal released in 2019
- ‘Can’t wait to return’: Former Everton man eyes move back to England