Newcastle seem unlikely to let Dwight Gayle leave the club this month, according to the Athletic.
They claim that Steve Bruce wants the club to offer Gayle a new contract, with his current deal expiring at the end of the season.
But given Gayle’s age – he’s 31 – and reported £50,000-a-week wages, that appears unlikely to be granted.
The Magpies are willing to risk allowing Gayle to leave for free in the summer, rather than leave themselves short of cover for Callum Wilson now.
Gayle is apparently open to a move abroad and has offers from the Middle East on the table.
There is also interest from the Championship, although the report says that Fulham – who had been previously linked – are not interested.
The report says that a hugely enticing offer would be required in order for Newcastle to allow Gayle to leave.
That can’t be completely ruled out given how desperate teams are for goalscorers in January, but as it stands, it seems Gayle is set to remain at Newcastle until the end of the season.
Gayle joined Newcastle for £10 million back in July 2016 and helped fire the club out of the Championship.
He hasn’t often been handed a decent chance to prove himself in the Premier League.
But if he leaves as a free agent in the summer, it seems likely there will be considerable interest in a player who knows where the net is.
In the meantime, will Bruce give him the gametime to show why he wants the club to extend his contract?
- Sky pundit says Spurs man is now showing why Levy moved ‘heaven and earth’ to get him
- Twitter: Trump ‘golden calf’ statue gets roast of biblical proportions
- Who was Jimmy Fletcher? Billie Holiday connection explored in new biopic
- Has Covino And Rich been cancelled? What happened to the show?
- ‘Doesn’t make sense, pointless’…Some Spurs fans unhappy with UEFA rule after Europa League draw