Everton are genuine contenders to sign Manchester United defender Brandon Williams on loan, according to the Athletic.
They report that the Toffees have a real chance of landing the Englishman until the season.
Bayer Leverkusen apparently recently looked into signing the full back permanently, but it seems United are keen on a loan spell.
Williams enjoyed a breakthrough campaign in 2019/20 – with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer calling him ‘absolutely outstanding’ in July – but he has played just six minutes of Premier League action this season.
He played most of his football at left back last season and got plenty of chances because Luke Shaw struggled with injury.
But Alex Telles has come to Old Trafford this summer and limited Williams’s opportunities.
The Athletic report that United have their eye on an experienced right back and Kieran Trippier was their top target before he was handed a ban.
United’s appetite for a right back aged between 28 and 30 casts doubt on Williams’s future.
Victor Lindelof and Axel Tuanzebe have been played at right back in recent games when Williams has been fit and available.
That offers an indication of Williams’s standing at Old Trafford and Everton could turn to him given their injury struggles at full back.
Carlo Ancelotti has fielded four centre halves across his backline at times because Seamus Coleman and Lucas Digne have been out.
The fact Williams can play on both sides would help Ancelotti out in the second half of the season if Everton win the battle for his signature.
- ‘Could do worse’: Carragher says Liverpool legend can help Reds star refind form
- Former Arsenal man Alan Smith delivers verdict on Sokratis and Mesut Ozil
- Does Diggy Simmons have a girlfriend? Twitter anticipates reaction to Chloe Bailey video
- ‘Unsung heroes’: Merson says Liverpool just aren’t the same when three players don’t play
- Report: Newcastle in talks over off-field addition to support under-fire boss