Sheffield United’s relegation from the Premier League looks all-but certain.
They lost 1-0 at Fulham on Saturday night and are 14 points adrift of safety. The Blades only have 11 to their name in total.
According to Eurosport, midfielder Sander Berge could leave Bramall Lane in the summer if United are in the Championship by then.
They report that Aston Villa are the early favourites to land the midfielder, who signed for a club-record £22 million in January 2020.
Berge has been out since December’s clash with Manchester United after undergoing hamstring surgery.
He has been sorely missed and Chris Wilder has made no secret of his admiration for the midfielder.
As per the Athletic, Wilder described Berge as ‘outstanding’ in October 2020.
He was also effusive about Berge earlier this month, praising his attitude in comments reported by the Star.
Wilder also said he believes Berge will end up playing in a holding midfield role.
Villa have Douglas Luiz in that area of the pitch right now and the Brazilian has impressed since his arrival in the summer of 2019.
But his versatility means he can play further forward too, and Villa have Conor Hourihane out on loan and Ross Barkley’s future is up in the air still.
Berge could solve that problem but there’s a long way to go for Villa’s interest to turn into a concrete bid.
- Who is Ryan Switzer’s wife Gabie? From college couple days to NFL
- xQc drama explained: Why did he get banned from NoPixel again?
- ‘The only positive’, ‘MOTM’: Some Newcastle fans applaud ‘solid’ 29-year-old performance against West Brom
- What happened to Jalek Swoll’s dad? Motocross star’s family explored
- Why is Andy Ngo? Mumford & Sons connection and Unmasked book explored