You can now leave comments on the articles that matter to you. Find out more here

What is the new Tom Brady Subway commercial and is he vegan?

Joshua Rogers September 10, 2021
What is the new Tom Brady Subway commercial and is he vegan?
Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

Tom Brady starred in Subway’s new 2021 commercial during the opening Bucs vs Cowboys game. A line in the ad says “you don’t even eat bread”, prompting questions about Tom Brady’s diet and whether he’s a vegan.

‘Human: The Darren Waller Story’ | Trailer | FOX Sports

BridTV
4793
‘Human: The Darren Waller Story’ | Trailer | FOX Sports
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/o5EnpygImV0/hqdefault.jpg
860325
860325
center
22886

Tom Brady stars in 2021 Subway commercial video

Tom Brady’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers beat the Dallas Cowboys 31-29 on the NFL’s season opener on Thursday (9 September).

During the game, the Bucs quarterback debuted in a new Subway commercial entitled Freshly Baked Fragrance.

Brady’s 2021 Subway ad talks about an “irresistible” fragrance, “bready”, and is more in keeping with an ad for a high-end cologne.

A voice at the end of the commercial adds: “You don’t even eat bread.” 

Does Tom Brady eat bread?

The line “you don’t even eat bread” had fans questioning whether the quarterback really does eat bread.

Many elite athletes and performers operate on low-carb diets, and Brady actually has his own diet.

The Tom Brady Diet, also known as the TB12 Method, is a whole-foods-based diet.

Brady therefore doesn’t eat bread, which is a processed food.

Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

What is Tom Brady’s diet?

According to his website: “The TB12 Method is a holistic approach to health and wellness, with a focus on performance and recovery.

“At the centre of the TB12 Method is the concept of Pliability, a muscle state which is supported by balanced nutrition, optimal hydration, mental fitness, and functional strength and conditioning.

“It is designed to help those that practise it live pain-free and perform their best.”

Brady’s specific diet promises to boost energy levels, minimise inflammation, reduce risk of injury, and enhance sports performance and recovery.

In a review conducted by Healthline, the website said Brady’s diet emphasised “organic, locally grown, seasonal and minimally processed foods”.

Healthline continued: “About 80% of this diet consists of organically grown fruit, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds and legumes. The remaining 20% comes from grass-fed, organic, antibiotic- and hormone-free lean meat and wild-caught fish or seafood.

“The Tom Brady diet offers an extensive list of foods to avoid or limit, as they’re deemed acidifying or pro-inflammatory. These include dairy, most oils, as well as soy-, GMO-, or gluten-containing foods [including bread].’

Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images

Is Tom Brady a vegan?

Tom Brady is not a vegan as his own TB12 Method advocates eating “hormone-free lean meat and wild-caught fish or seafood”.

However, according to his personal chef, Allen Campbell, Tom eats a diet consisting of 80% vegetables.

In 2016, Tom partnered with vegan meal delivery service Purple Carrot to create a plant-based performance meal plan, which teammate Rob Gronkowski uses. 

LOGIN to Comment
LOGIN to Comment
Have something to tell us about this article?
Let us know
Joshua is a senior sports writer with over four years' experience in online writing. He graduated with a BA in Ancient History from The University of Manchester before receiving an MA in Sports Journalism from The University of Central Lancashire. He became a trending writer for a leading social publisher and later spent time covering the 2018 World Cup for The Mirror Online. He then moved to a social marketing agency where he acted as website editor. His specialties on The Focus include F1, tennis, NBA, NFL and combat sports.