Are konjac noodles banned? Why are they considered dangerous by some doctors? Yesterday, 16 February, on Drew Barrymore’s show there was a cooking segment that explored different types of noodle dishes. Many viewers saw a new type of noodle being used, called a ‘miracle’ or magic noodle, also known as konjac noodles.
What are so-called ‘miracle noodles’ made of?
Konjac noodles are also known as Shirataki noodles. Shirataki means ‘white waterfall’ in Japanese, which reflects the noodles’ pale appearance.
Their claim to fame is that they allegedly have zero calories due to being made of glucomannan starch, which is an indigestible dietary fibre. They also contain no carbohydrates and are vegan and gluten free.
As you can see, the noodles are a bit thicker than regular rice noodles.
These noodles are made from the corm of the Konjac plant which is native to East and Southeast Asia. It is also known by names such as Konjaku, devil’s tongue or the voodoo lily.
People are wondering about these type of noodles because of a segment on Drew Barrymore’s show yesterday which showed Ross Matthews cooking with miracle noodles aka konjac or shirataki noodles.
Many people use the noodles for weight loss as they move very slowly through your digestive system, which keeps you feeling full for a long time.
However, health experts have expressed scepticism about the healthiness of konjac noodles, warning of potential dangers associated with their consumption.
Are konjac noodles banned?
Although there is a rumour that konjac noodles are banned in Australia, it appears that only glucomannan tablets are banned due to choking hazards.
We found multiple Australian websites stocking these types of konjac noodles, which indicates they’re not banned.
However, there have been some horror-stories coming out of Australia after a Melbourne doctor warned that these noodles blocked a patient’s stomach for ten days.
This was because the noodles hadn’t broken down at all, expanding her stomach to more that five times its natural size.
Glucomannan expands rapidly and can absorb 50 times its weight in water. This can lead to discomfort or even malnutrition, as the fibre can stop the gastrointestinal tract from absorbing nutrients.
Another woman from the United States revealed that she experienced extreme cramps after eating the noodles, and she felt like she was choking. When taken to the hospital the doctors found that they had formed an undigestible mass in her digestive tract.
Konjac noodles are not banned in the UK or the US at the time of writing.
- Jose Mourinho claims Liverpool star is one of the world’s best five players in his position
- What happened to Avril Lavigne just after her 30th birthday?
- What is Christopher McDonald’s net worth as we celebrate 25 years of Happy Gilmore?
- ‘Jose Out’: Some Spurs fans give cheeky response to academy side’s heavy defeat
- Who is Christian showman Carman Licciardello survived by?