What is the Olympic Refugee Team flag?
The Olympic flag was also seen alongside the team in 2016 when they made their debut as they competed in the summer Olympic games.
“We will offer them a home in the Olympic Village together with all the athletes of the word. The Olympic anthem will be played in their honour and the Olympic flag will lead them into the Olympic Stadium.”
- CULTURE: Singer Alejandro Sanz stuns at Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony
- TRENDING: Jason Momoa lookalike fools fans in new Lil Nas X video
What does EOR mean in the 2020 Olympics?
EOR is the IOC title that the Refugee Olympic Team will compete under throughout the 2020 Tokyo games.
The term is an acronym for Equipe Olympique des Réfugiés which translated from French means Refugee Olympic Team.
- EXPLAINED: Who is the director behind Lil Nas X’s Industry Baby video?
Who are the flag bearers? Meet the team
The flag bearers seen holding the Olympic flag at the opening ceremony today were swimmer Yusra Mardini and distance runner Tachlowini Gabriyesos.
Mardini and Gabriyesos are two of 29 athletes who will compete as part of the Refugee Olympic Team in this year’s games.
The full team includes:
- Anjelina Nadai Lohalith – Athletics
- Dorian Keletela – Athletics
- Jamal Abdelmaji Eisa Mohammed – Athletics
- James Chiengjiek Nyang – Athletics
- Paulo Amotun Lokoro – Athletics
- Rose Nathike Likonyen – Athletics
- Tachlowini Gabriyesos – Athletics
- Javad Mahjoub – Judo
- Muna Dahouk – Judo
- Nigara Shaheen – Judo
- Popole Misenga – Judo
- Sanda Aldass – Judo
- Ahmad Alikaj – Judo
- Alaa Maso – Swimming
- Yusra Mardini – Swimming
- Ahmad Badreddin Wais – Cycling
- Masomah Ali Zada – Cycling
- Eldric Samuel Sella Rodriguez – Boxing
- Wessam Salamana – Boxing
- Saeid Fazloula – Canoe
- Aram Mahmoud – Badminton
- Hamoon Derafshipour – Karate
- Wael Shueb – Karate
- Luna Solomon – Shooting
- Cyrille Fagat Tchatchet II – Weightlifting
- Aker Al Obaidi – Wrestling
- Abdullah Sediqi – Taekwondo
- Dina Pouryounes Langeroudi – Taekwondo
- Kimia Alizadeh – Taekwondo