What happened to Natasha Richardson?Son Micheál breaks silence

Bruno Cooke March 17, 2021

English actress Natasha Richardson died of an epidural hematoma following a skiing accident in Quebec in 2009. Following an interview with her and Liam Neeson’s son Micheál, people are wondering what happened to Natasha Richardson.

What happened to Natasha Richardson?

During a holiday at the Mont Tremblant ski resort in Quebec, Canada, Richardson fell and struck her head. 

Shortly afterwards, an ambulance arrived and transported her from the foot of the mountain to the infirmary, by sleigh.

That afternoon, she was conscious and able to sign paperwork, and walked the 300 yards back to the hotel.

Photo by Michael Loccisano/FilmMagic

Head trauma can deteriorate

Over the next two days, Richardson’s condition worsened.

The operations manager for the ambulance service, Yves Coderre, said afterwards that people don’t realise how serious blunt head trauma can be. 

What is an epidural hematoma?

Natasha Richardson suffered an epidural hematoma as a result of the ski accident, which occurs when blood collects between the skull and brain. 

Epidural hematoma can result from blunt trauma – as it did in this case. The impact can tear the brain’s internal lining, tissues and blood vessels, and cause a hematoma to form.

While milder symptoms include confusion, nausea and headache, more severe effects include loss of vision, seizures and, ultimately, loss of consciousness.

Cause of death: ‘blunt impact’

At the the time, the New York City Medical Examiner’s Office declared that she died of “blunt impact” – according to the New York Times.

It also ruled Natasha Richardson’s death was accidental.

She died at the age of 45, survived by her husband, actor Liam Neeson, and their two sons Micheál and Daniel.

Photo by Sylvain Gaboury/FilmMagic

Neeson’s publicist made a statement on the evening of Natasha Richardson’s death that described the family as “shocked and devastated”.

“They are profoundly grateful for the support, love and prayers of everyone, and ask for privacy during this very difficult time.”